Speakers are one of the best gifts you can give someone who loves music, gaming, movies or podcasts. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right speaker. This gift guide will walk you through how to select the perfect speaker for different personalities and interests. Let’s dive in!
What Different People Need in a Bluetooth Speaker
When looking for a speaker as a gift, it’s important to consider who you’re shopping for and what their specific needs are. The speaker that’s perfect for an outdoorsy adventurer is quite different from what a gamer or audiophile might want. Here’s a breakdown of what to look for depending on the recipient:
For the hiking, camping, beach-going people in your life, the main factors are portability, durability and battery life. You’ll want to look for speakers with an IP water resistance rating to ensure they can stand up to the elements. An IP67 rating means a speaker is fully protected against dust and can be immersed in 1 meter of water for 30 minutes without damage.
Some top picks for outdoor lovers include:
- JBL Charge 5 – An ultra-durable portable Bluetooth speaker with IP67 waterproofing, 20-hour battery life and powerful sound.
- Anker Soundcore Rave Mini – A budget-friendly option with an IPX7 rating, 18-hour playtime and pulsating party lights.
- Bose SoundLink Micro – Compact and fully waterproof with impressive audio for its size. Great for outdoor adventures.
Musicians, Engineers and Audiophiles
Shopping for someone who’s serious about sound quality? Look for speakers that emphasize audio precision and clarity above all else. Avoid cheap computer speakers or novelty mini speakers. Some gift ideas an audiophile would appreciate:
- Headphone stands – Help them store and display their headphones.
- VSTs – Virtual Studio Technology audio plugins they can use for mixing and effects.
- Ear protection – Concert earplugs for safe listening when performing live.
- Balanced cables – Improve connectivity to headphones and monitors.
- Unique vinyl – Special edition records are always a win.
- Studio monitors like the PreSonus Eris E5 XT or Yamaha HS5 provide accurate reference sound.
- A headphone amplifier like the Fiio A5 boosts volume and audio quality when listening through headphones.
- Tower speakers from brands like Klipsch, KEF and ELAC give an immersive listening experience.
Socialites and Party-Goers
For your friends who are always hosting get-togethers, prioritize speakers that can fill a room with quality sound and have a lively look. Portability is less important here – it will mostly live on a shelf.
- JBL PartyBox 110 – A party speaker with light effects, mic and guitar inputs and beefy sound.
- Soundcore by Anker Motion Boom – An affordable party speaker with punchy bass and 24-hour battery life.
- Marshall Stanmore II – A vintage rock-inspired Bluetooth speaker that looks as good as it sounds.
Gaming speakers need to complement the gaming experience with immersive audio that highlights directional noises like footsteps. Headphones are ideal for gamers who want a private, intense experience. Consider gifts like:
- Closed-back headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x provide sound isolation.
- An attachable boom mic for voice chat while gaming.
- A headphone stand to show off their gaming headset.
- A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) to enhance sound quality.
- Powered desktop speakers like the Razer Nommo Chroma.
- Full speaker systems to connect gaming consoles to.
For home theater lovers, think surround sound systems and accessories to enhance the viewing experience. Some thoughtful gifts include:
- A full 5.1 surround sound speaker system to elevate their TV audio.
- A soundbar like the Sonos Beam for an all-in-one upgrade.
- Media consoles and TV stands to neatly organize their equipment.
- Acoustic panels to absorb echo and enhance sound quality.
Music and podcasts make travel more enjoyable. Consider these road trip- and flight-friendly gifts:
- Noise-canceling headphones like the Sony WH-1000XM5 to block out external noise on planes or trains.
- True wireless earbuds like AirPods Pro offer a compact, wireless listening experience.
- A portable DAC such as the AudioQuest Dragonfly allows them to upgrade sound from phones or laptops.
People Who Enjoy Time in Their Yard
If someone likes entertaining or relaxing outdoors in their yard or on the patio, enhance the experience with outdoor speakers. Consider weatherproof wireless speakers like the Sonos Move, or permanent outdoor speakers you can install on the porch or garden.
Stocking Filler Gift Ideas
Looking for some more affordable stocking stuffer speakers to surprise your friends with? Consider one of these quirky options:
- Desktop mini speakers shaped like retro radios or animals for their workstation.
- A waterproof shower speaker to listen to music and podcasts while bathing.
- Floating waterproof pool speakers to take the party outside.
With so many types of speakers out there, it can be tricky to choose the perfect one as a gift. Focus on practical features based on someone’s hobbies and interests. An outdoor lover needs rugged Bluetooth speakers to accompany camping trips and beach days. Musicians and audiophiles will appreciate gear that enhances audio quality like headphone amps and studio monitors. Gamers prefer headphones or speakers specialized for immersive gameplay. Consider what would make someone’s life easier or more enjoyable, and let their personality guide you toward the right speaker gift.